SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] srcu: Remove pre-flip memory barrier
On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 5:45 PM Frederic Weisbecker <frederic@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 09:20:08AM -0500, Joel Fernandes wrote:

> > > So &ssp->sda->srcu_lock_count is the base address and idx is the offset, right?
> > > The write is then displayed that way:
> > >
> > > this_cpu_inc(ssp->sda->srcu_lock_count[idx].counter);
> > >
> > > But things could be also thought the other way around with idx being the base address and
> > > ssp->sda->srcu_lock_count being the offset.
> > >
> > > this_cpu_inc(idx[ssp->sda->srcu_lock_count].counter);
> > >
> > > That would require to change some high level types but the result would be the same from
> > > the memory point of view (and even from the ASM point of view). In the end we
> > > are dealing with the same address and access.
> > >
> > > Now ssp->sda->srcu_lock_count is a constant address value. It doesn't change.
> > > So it can be zero for example. Then the above increment becomes:
> > >
> > > this_cpu_inc(idx.counter);
> > >
> > > And then it can be modelized as in the above litmus test.
> > >
> > > I had to play that trick because litmus doesn't support arrays but I believe
> > > it stands. Now of course I may well have got something wrong since I've always
> > > been terrible at maths...
> >
> > Ah ok, I get where you were going with that. Yes there is address dependency
> > between reading idx and writing lock count. But IMHO, the access on the update
> > side is trying to order write to index, and reads from a lock count of a
> > have to consider 2 consecutive readers and not the same reader in order to
> > pair the same accesses correctly. But I could be missing something.
>
> And you're right, for the first part of the comment (let's call that (1)):
>
> * Ensure that if this updater saw a given reader's increment
> * from __srcu_read_lock(), that reader was using an old value
> * of ->srcu_idx.
>
> My litmus test shows the ordering displayed in the second part of the comment
> (call it (2)):
>
> * Also ensure that if a given reader sees the
> * new value of ->srcu_idx, this updater's earlier scans cannot
> * have seen that reader's increments (which is OK, because this
> * grace period need not wait on that reader).
>
> _ In (1), E indeed pairs with B and C

Agreed about (1).

> _ In (2), E pairs with the address-dependency between idx and lock_count.

But that is not the only reason. If that was the only reason for (2),
then there is an smp_mb() just before the next-scan post-flip before
the lock counts are read.

The comment also says that: "D" pairs with "C" and does not mention
"C" being an addr dependency. So IMHO, you need to look at the unlock
count access and the idx access, for (2). Something like this:
https://hastebin.com/raw/gadeliquta . Though that is complex as fuck.

Or did I miss something subtle?

Thanks.

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:16    [W:0.293 / U:0.184 seconds]