SubjectRe: BUG: ib_mad ftrace event unsupported migration
On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 02:02:49PM +0000, Leonid Ravich wrote:

> > >The scheduler should have. On entering the ring buffer code
> > >ring_buffer_lock_reserver() it disables preemption and does not
> > >re-enable it until ring_buffer_unlock_commit().
> > >
> > >The only way to migrate is if you re-enable preemption. WHICH IS A
> > >BUG!
>
> >So what on earth did that?
>
> >I'm guessing some driver's query_pkey op, but AFAIK we don't have any
> >explicit pre-emption reenablements in the code - unless it is sneaky..
> trace infra uses preempt_disable_notrace/preempt_enable_notrace to disable/enable preemtion but my kernel compiled without CONFIG_PREEMPTION so this functions are only barriers - looks like the idea behind was to avoid involuntary preemtion but in our case it is a voluntary (there is a wait_for_completion in the query_pkey rabbit hole).

So this tracepoint is just wrong, you can't call a sleepable function
from a tracepoint like that?

Presumably lockdep would/should warn about this?

Delete the pkey logging from the tracepoint, it can't work, I guess.

Jason

  Last update: 2022-11-02 15:07    [W:0.135 / U:2.540 seconds]