SubjectRe: [RFC] memory tiering: use small chunk size and more tiers
On Wed 02-11-22 16:02:54, Huang, Ying wrote:
> Michal Hocko <mhocko@suse.com> writes:

> >> Sorry for confusing. I think that there are only several (less than 10)
> >> tiers in a system in practice. Yes, here, I suggested to define 100 (10
> >> in the later text) POSSIBLE tiers below DRAM. My intention isn't to
> >> manage a system with tens memory tiers. Instead, my intention is to
> >> avoid to put 2 memory types into one memory tier by accident via make
> >> the abstract distance range of each memory tier as small as possible.
> >> More possible memory tiers, smaller abstract distance range of each
> >> memory tier.
> >
> > TBH I do not really understand how tweaking ranges helps anything.
> > IIUC drivers are free to assign any abstract distance so they will clash
> > without any higher level coordination.
>
> Yes. That's possible. Each memory tier corresponds to one abstract
> distance range. The larger the range is, the higher the possibility of
> clashing is. So I suggest to make the abstract distance range smaller
> to reduce the possibility of clashing.

I am sorry but I really do not understand how the size of the range
actually addresses a fundamental issue that each driver simply picks
what it wants. Is there any enumeration defining basic characteristic of
each tier? How does a driver developer knows which tear to assign its
driver to?

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2022-11-02 09:18    [W:0.057 / U:0.008 seconds]