SubjectRe: [RFC 0/4] pci/sriov: support VFs dynamic addition
On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 10:06:49PM +0800, Longpeng (Mike, Cloud Infrastructure Service Product Dept.) wrote:

> 在 2022/11/14 21:09, Leon Romanovsky 写道:
> > On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 08:38:42PM +0800, Longpeng (Mike, Cloud Infrastructure Service Product Dept.) wrote:
> > >

> > > 在 2022/11/14 15:04, Leon Romanovsky 写道:

> > > The VF creation and configuration are also time-sensitive in some cases, for
> > > example, the hypervisor live update case (such as [1]):
> > > save VMs -> kexec -> restore VMs
> > >
> > > After the new kernel starts, the VFs must be added into the system, and then
> > > assign the original VFs to the QEMU. This means we must enable all 2K+ VFs
> > > at once and increase the downtime.
> > >
> > > If we can enable the VFs that are used by existing VMs then restore the VMs
> > > and enable other unused VFs at last, the downtime would be significantly
> > > reduced.
> > >
> > > [1] https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/kvmforum2022/65/kvmforum2022-Preserving%20IOMMU%20states%20during%20kexec%20reboot-v4.pdf
> >
> > Like it is written in presentation, the standard way of doing it is done
> > by VFIO live migration feature, where 2K+ VMs are migrated to another server
> > at the time first server is scheduled for maintenance.
> >
> Live migration is not the best choice in production environment, it's too
> heavy. Some cloud providers prefer to using hypervisor live update in their
> system, such as AWS's nitro hypervisor.

How is AWS nitro relevant to our discussion about adding sysfs file to Linux?
Can you please point us to the source code of that hypervisor? Does it even
run on Linux?

Anyway, I'm aware of big cloud providers who are pretty happy with live
migration in production.

> > However, even in live update case mentioned in the presentation, you
> > should disable ALL PFs/VFs and enable ALL PFs/VFs at the same time,
> > so you don't need per-VF id enable knob.
> >
> The presentation is just a reference, some points could be optimized
> including disable PFs/VFs and enable PFs/VFs.
>
> Hypervisor live update can finish in less than 1 second, so the cost of
> disabling PFs/VFs and enabling PFs/VFs (~200-250ms or even worst) is too
> high.

> > > Physical device. Some devices in the market support the large number of VFs,
> > > especially in the hardware offloading area, e.g DPU/IPU. I think the SR-IOV
> > > software should keep pace with times too.
> >
> > Our devices (and Intel too) support many VFs too. The thing is that
> > servers are unlikely to be able to support 10 physical devices with 2K+
> > VFs. There are many limitations that will make such is not usable.
> > Like, global MSI-X pool and PCI bandwidth to support all these devices.

> > > I see, but maybe this change could be a choice for some users.
> >
> > It should come with relevant driver changes and very strong justification why
> > such functionality is needed now and can't be achieved by anything else
> > except user-facing sysfs.
> >
> Adding 2K+ VFs to the sysfs need too much time.
>
> Look at the bottomhalf of the hypervisor live update:
> kexec --> add 2K VFs --> restore VMs
>
> The downtime can be reduced if the sequence is:
> kexec --> add 100 VFs(the VMs used) --> resotre VMs --> add 1.9K VFs

Addition of VFs is serial operation, you can fire your VMs once you
counted 100 VFs in sysfs directory.

> > I don't see anything in this presentation and discussion that supports
> > need of such UAPI.
> > > Thanks

> > .

  Last update: 2022-11-14 15:23    [W:0.077 / U:0.408 seconds]