SubjectRe: [v2 1/3] dt-bindings: Add bindings for aspeed pwm-tach.
Date
Hi Rob,

On 2022/11/3, 3:39 PM, "Billy Tsai" <billy_tsai@aspeedtech.com> wrote:

On 2022/11/3, 2:19 AM, "Rob Herring" <robh@kernel.org> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 10:21 PM Billy Tsai <billy_tsai@aspeedtech.com> wrote:

> > That all sounds like requirements that you have which you should
> > ensure the fan binding can support.

> > I've already said to use the PWM binding in the fan binding exactly
> > for the purpose of hooking up the PWMs to other things. Whether the
> > tach controller is useful for something other than fans, I don't know.
> > Seems less likely. The max6639 also has a tach controller. So if other
> > uses are possible for you, then it could be possible for any other h/w
> > like the max6639.

> The linux kernel already have the similar binding:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/hwmon/pwm-fan.txt
> Therefore, I want to reuse it and the pwm-fan.c instead of creating another similar fan binding and driver.
> I am referring to the following files:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mfd/kontron%2Csl28cpld.yaml
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pwm/kontron%2Csl28cpld-pwm.yaml
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/hwmon/kontron%2Csl28cpld-hwmon.yaml
> It will also reuse the pwm-fan instead creating it own pwm-fan binding for their hwmon(tach).
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/fsl-ls1028a-kontron-sl28-var3-ads2.dts#L20

Do you have any sugguest about the binding like the link above?
We can just creat the pure PWM provider and use the pwm-fan as the common fan binding instead of creating another fan-common.yaml.

Thanks

Best Regards,
Billy Tsai

  Last update: 2022-11-14 09:28    [W:0.072 / U:0.168 seconds]