SubjectRe: [RFC net-next 1/2] dt-bindings: net: dsa: add bindings for GSW Series switches
From
On 25/10/2022 11:01, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> + - enum:
>>> + - mxl,gsw145-mdio
>>
>> Why "mdio" suffix?
>
> I wondered about that as well. At some point in the future, there
> could be an SPI version of this driver, and a UART version. Would they
> all use the same compatible, and then context it used to determine the
> correct binding? I think the kernel would be happy to do that, but i
> don't know if the YAML tools can support that?

In general the bus should not be encoded in the device compatible. On
which bus this device sits, is determined from the parent, not from the
device compatible. As you wrote the context is used to determine
properties. There are few exceptions, though, but I think this is not a
candidate for such.

>>> +examples:
>>> + - |
>>> + #include <dt-bindings/gpio/gpio.h>
>>> +
>>> + mdio {
>>
>> Hmmm... switch with MDIO is part of MDIO?
>
> Happens a lot. Nothing wrong with this.

OK, everyday learning :)

Best regards,
Krzysztof

  Last update: 2022-10-25 21:01    [W:0.987 / U:0.056 seconds]