SubjectRe: (bug report) HWMON & Thermal interactions
On 10/24/22 05:47, Cristian Marussi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 04:56:43AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

>>> Maybe I am missing something, but ...
>>>
>>> The driver isn't supposed to know anything about thermal devices and
>>> thermal zones. If that no longer works, and drivers have to know about
>>> thermal zones and thermal zone device index values anyway, we might
>>> as well pull thermal device support from the hwmon core and implement
>>> it in drivers.
>>>

>> No, wait: The question is really: Why does the scmi driver present the sensor
>> with index 3 to the hwmon subsystem as sensor with index 1 ?
>>
>> If the sensor has index 3, and is presented to other entities as sensor
>> with index 3, it should be presented to the hwmon subsystem as sensor with
>> index 3, not with index 1. If sensors with index 1..2 do not exist,
>> the is_visible function should return 0 for those sensors.
>>

> My understanding was that the hwmon index is the index of the channel
> and hwmon_channel_info struct groups channels by type while the index is
> really used as a pointer in the hwmon_channel_info.config field, so in
> this case you're saying I should present 4 temp sensors placing a 'hole'
> at sensor 1,2 making is_visible return 0 for those channels ?
>
> Basically keeping the channel indexes in sync with the real sensor ID by
> the means of some dummy sensor entries in the config field: this could result
> potentially in a lot of holes given in SCMI the sensor_id is 16 bits and
> I thought that was too hackish but I can try.

The underlying idea with the hwmon -> thermal bridge is that index values
used by thermal and by the hwmon subsystem match and, yes, that there would
if necessary be holes in hwmon index values (normally this is not a 16-bit
number space). If that doesn't work for scmi, and if there could indeed be
something like

thermal-sensors = <&scmi_sensors0 12345>;

then I think the solution is indeed to not rely on the hwmon->thermal bridge
in the hwmon core for this driver.

> In the meantime, I gave it a go at what you suggested early (if I got it
> right...) by removing from the scmi-hwmon driver the HWMON_C_REGISTER_TZ
> attribute and adding a few explicit calls to devm_thermal_of_zone_register() at
> the end of the probe to specifically register the needed temp sensors (and
> associated real sensor IDs) with the ThermalFramework without relying on the
> HWMON core for Thermal and it works fine indeed.

Excellent.

Thanks,
Guenter

  Last update: 2022-10-24 18:00    [W:0.037 / U:0.160 seconds]