SubjectRe: [lib/cpumask] 6f9c07be9d: WARNING:at_include/linux/cpumask.h:#prefill_possible_map
Hi Geert,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 08:39:10AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Yukie,
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 7:40 PM Yujie Liu <yujie.liu@intel.com> wrote:

> > > Indeed, if FORCE_NR_CPUS is enabled by randconfig, it may cause at least
> > > boot warning. I'm either not sure if the following alloc_pages is
> > > related to the config, but anyways...
> > >
> > > The most logical solution would be disabling FORCE_NR_CPUS in
> > > randconfig before building the kernel. We can do it in a post-script,
> > > like:
> > >
> > > make randconfig
> > > scripts/config -d FORCE_NR_CPUS
> > > scripts/config -e UNFORCE_NR_CPUS
> > > make
> >
> > This seems to need extra work to run config script for each randconfig
> > build.
>
> While randconfig is great for doing build tests, I would not use it
> for boot tests, until you have some way to make sure critical options
> are enabled (or disabled). A plain randconfig kernel is almost
> guaranteed to lack some driver you need.

Thanks for the comment. I just realized that we do have this process in
our test robot. It will fixup randconfigs to make sure critical configs
are properly set to fit our boot test environment. I should also disable
FORCE_NR_CPUS in this process and this issue is easily resolved.

> > > Or we can create a pre-configuration file, so that randconfig would do
> > > its work based on that. We already have such pre-configs for powerpc
> > > and risc:
> > > arch/riscv/configs/32-bit.config
> > > arch/powerpc/configs/32-bit.config
> > > arch/powerpc/configs/64-bit.config
> > > arch/riscv/configs/64-bit.config
> > >
> > > Maybe it's time to create a generic config of this sort.
> >
> > It would be nice to have a pre-config file to ensure this config won't
> > be enabled accidentally by randconfig if users are not aware of. This
> > would also be consistent with common build flow so no extra steps are
> > needed.
>
> The above configs don't contain any options controlling included
> drivers.
> Which options would you add to it? This is very platform-specific.

By disabling FORCE_NR_CPUS in randconfig fixup, seems we don't need to
have above config constraints. My apologies for raising this naive
problem, we should have addressed this issue internally before seeking
help from developers. Sorry for bothering.

--
Best Regards,
Yujie

  Last update: 2022-10-21 12:11    [W:2.914 / U:0.016 seconds]