SubjectRe: ublk-qcow2: ublk-qcow2 is available
On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:54:45AM -0400, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 at 09:17, Yongji Xie <xieyongji@bytedance.com> wrote:

> > > OK, it is the right way, but may not be the effective one.
> > >

> > Maybe, but I think we can try to optimize it.

> > > virtio is good for VM, but not sure it is good enough for other
> > > cases.

> > > Per my understanding, at least there are two places where virtio ring is
> > > less efficient than io_uring:
> > >

> > I might have misunderstood what you mean by virtio ring before. My
> > previous understanding of the virtio ring does not include the
> > virtio-blk driver.
> >
> > > 1) io_uring uses standalone submission queue(SQ) and completion queue(CQ),
> > > so no contention exists between submission and completion; but virtio queue
> > > requires per-vq lock in both submission and completion.
> > >

> > Yes, this is the bottleneck of the virtio-blk driver, even in the VM
> > case. We are also trying to optimize this lock.
> >
> > One way to mitigate it is making submission and completion happen in
> > the same core.
>
> QEMU sizes virtio-blk device num-queues to match the vCPU count. The

num-queues is configurable via qemu-storage-daemon command line, and
single queue is usually common case, more queues often means more
resources.

> virtio-blk driver is a blk-mq driver, so submissions and completions
> for a given virtqueue should already be processed by the same vCPU.
>
> Unless the device is misconfigured or the guest software chooses a
> custom vq:vCPU mapping, there should be no vq lock contention between
> vCPUs.

Single queue or nr_queue less than nr_cpus can't be thought as mis-configured,
so every vCPU can submit request, but only one or a few vCPUs complete all.

> I can think of a reason why submission and completion require
> coordination: descriptors are occupied until completion. The
> submission logic chooses free descriptors from the table. The
> completion logic returns free descriptors so they can be used in
> future submissions.

Shared descriptors is one fundamental design of virtio ring, and
looks the reason why vq spin lock is needed in both sides.

> Other ring designs expose the submission ring head AND tail index so
> that it's clear which submissions have been processed by the other
> side. Once processed, the descriptors are no longer occupied and can
> be reused for future submissions immediately. This means that
> submission and completion do not share state.
>
> This is for the split virtqueue layout. For the packed layout I think
> there is a similar dependency because descriptors are used for both
> submission and completion.
>
> I have CCed Michael Tsirkin in case he has any thoughts on the
> independence of submission and completion in the vring design.
>
> BTW I have written about difference in the VIRTIO, NVMe, and io_uring
> descriptor ring designs here:
> https://blog.vmsplice.net/2022/06/comparing-virtio-nvme-and-iouring-queue.html

Except for ring, notification could be another difference.

Thanks,
Ming

  Last update: 2022-10-19 11:31    [W:0.135 / U:0.500 seconds]