SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Backlight for v6.1
From

On 10/9/22 05:58, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,

>>> I'm not sure what you mean here. I guess you mean that you
>>> do not expect to be able to test the driver on real hw
>>> yourself?
>>
>> Well, that too, but I really along the lines of "make it build as a
>> module when I2C_DESIGNWARE_PLATFORM is a module"
>
> Actually because the driver only works properly when builtin the
> driver itself is a bool option not a tristate. So I am not sure
> if even if we change the the:
>
> depends on I2C_DESIGNWARE_PLATFORM=y
>
> to:
>
> depends on I2C_DESIGNWARE_PLATFORM=y || COMPILE_TEST

That change worked for me.

drivers/mfd/intel_soc_pmic_crc.o is built and
drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-platform.ko is built.

> it still will not be build with an "allmodconfig" build? I must
> admit I don't know what that does with bool options.

I don't see a problem...

but I didn't test all of the other x86 PMIC drivers.
They are all built as loadable modules since I didn't make any changes
to their Kconfig entries.

> If it says yes to bool options, then yes adding the " || COMPILE_TEST"
> will give you build coverage with an "allmodconfig" build and
> I would be happy to submit a patch adding this for all the affected
> x86 PMIC drivers.
>
>> Because if it depends on some symbols from I2C_DESIGNWARE_PLATFORM,
>> and that one can be a module, then the Intel PMIC driver also needs to
>> be built as a module to just get the build coverage, at least.

I don't see intel_soc_pmic_crc.c using any direct calls into
i2c-designware-platform code. If it calls into it, it must be thru some
indirect pointers (?).
It's not causing any build problems once the "|| COMPILE_TEST"
change is made. (I am build testing on linux-next-20221019.)

--
~Randy

  Last update: 2022-10-20 05:32    [W:0.070 / U:0.100 seconds]