SubjectRe: gcc 5 & 6 & others already out of date?
Date
* Mark Brown:

>> The enterprise distributions have toolchain modules or toolsets that you
>> can install, all nicely integrated. You'd probably consider those
>> versions too new. 8-/ I expect it's mostly an education issue, raising
>> awareness of what's available from vendors. (glibc versions are a
>> different matter, but I don't think dropping support for historic
>> versions on build hosts is on the table, so that should be relevant.)
>
> Yeah, I found the ones for SLES easily enough but not the ones for RHEL
> or Ubuntu. Perfectly prepared to believe they're there though, it does
> seem like sometihng users might want.

For what it's worth, it's devtoolset-11-gcc or gcc-toolset-11-gcc,
depending on the OS version. The “11” is the GCC version, new versions
become available in the fall, about half a year after the upstream
release. Old versions remain installable (even in parallel), but drop
out of official support fairly quickly (at least compared to our usual
support timelines).

Thanks,
Florian

  Last update: 2022-10-14 08:16    [W:0.050 / U:0.224 seconds]