SubjectRe: ublk-qcow2: ublk-qcow2 is available
On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 02:48:04PM +0800, Yongji Xie wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 10:22 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > We are interested in VDUSE vs UBLK, too. And I have tested them with nullblk backend.
> > > Let me share some results here.
> > >
> > > I setup UBLK with:
> > > ublk add -t loop -f /dev/nullb0 -d QUEUE_DEPTH -q NR_QUEUE
> > >
> > > I setup VDUSE with:
> > > qemu-storage-daemon \
> > > --chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/tmp/qmp.sock,server=on,wait=off \
> > > --monitor chardev=charmonitor \
> > > --blockdev driver=host_device,cache.direct=on,filename=/dev/nullb0,node-name=disk0 \
> > > --export vduse-blk,id=test,node-name=disk0,name=vduse_test,writable=on,num-queues=NR_QUEUE,queue-size=QUEUE_DEPTH
> > >
> > > Here QUEUE_DEPTH is 1, 32 or 128 and NR_QUEUE is 1 or 4.
> > >
> > > Note:
> > > (1) VDUSE requires QUEUE_DEPTH >= 2. I cannot setup QUEUE_DEPTH to 1.
> > > (2) I use qemu 7.1.0-rc3. It supports vduse-blk.
> > > (3) I do not use ublk null target so that the test is fair.
> > > (4) I setup fio with direct=1, bs=4k.
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > > 1 job 1 iodepth, lat(usec)
> > > vduse ublk
> > > seq-read 22.55 11.15
> > > rand-read 22.49 11.17
> > > seq-write 25.67 10.25
> > > rand-write 24.13 10.16
> >
> > Thanks for sharing. Any idea what the bottlenecks are for vduse and ublk?
> >

> I think one reason for the latency gap of sync I/O is that vduse uses
> workqueue in the I/O completion path but ublk doesn't.
>
> And one bottleneck for the async I/O in vduse is that vduse will do
> memcpy inside the critical section of virtqueue's spinlock in the
> virtio-blk driver. That will hurt the performance heavily when
> virtio_queue_rq() and virtblk_done() run concurrently. And it can be
> mitigated by the advance DMA mapping feature [1] or irq binding
> support [2].

Hi Yongji,

Yeah, that is the cost you paid for virtio. Wrt. userspace block device
or other sort of userspace devices, cmd completion is driven by
userspace, not sure if one such 'irq' is needed. Even not sure if virtio
ring is one good choice for such use case, given io_uring has been proved
as very efficient(should be better than virtio ring, IMO).

ublk uses io_uring pt cmd for handling both io submission and completion,
turns out the extra latency can be pretty small.

BTW, one un-related topic, I saw the following words in
Documentation/userspace-api/vduse.rst:

```
Note that only virtio block device is supported by VDUSE framework now,
which can reduce security risks when the userspace process that implements
the data path is run by an unprivileged user.
```

But when I tried to start qemu-storage-daemon for creating vdpa-virtio
block by nor unprivileged user, 'Permission denied' is still returned,
can you explain a bit how to start such process by unprivileged user?
Or maybe I misunderstood the above words, please let me know.

thanks,
Ming

  Last update: 2022-10-14 14:57    [W:0.174 / U:0.396 seconds]