SubjectRe: gcc 5 & 6 & others already out of date?
On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 08:38:02PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Mark Brown:
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 10:37:21AM -0600, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:

> > I was looking at your suggestion there - as a Debian user that feels a
> > touch enthusiastic (though practically probably not actually a problem)
> > since it's not too far off the release cadence, current Debian is at GCC
> > 10 and we're not due for another release till sometime next year which
> > will be right on the three years.

> Debian also has Clang 13, presumably for building Rust and Firefox.

Ah, so it does - nice!

> > There does also seem to be a contingent of people running enterprise
> > distros managed by an IT department or whatever who may take a while
> > to get round to pushing out new versions so for example might still
> > for example be running Ubuntu 20.04 rather than 22.04 (never mind the
> > people I know are sitting on 18.04 but that's another thing).

> The enterprise distributions have toolchain modules or toolsets that you
> can install, all nicely integrated. You'd probably consider those
> versions too new. 8-/ I expect it's mostly an education issue, raising
> awareness of what's available from vendors. (glibc versions are a
> different matter, but I don't think dropping support for historic
> versions on build hosts is on the table, so that should be relevant.)

Yeah, I found the ones for SLES easily enough but not the ones for RHEL
or Ubuntu. Perfectly prepared to believe they're there though, it does
seem like sometihng users might want.

  Last update: 2022-10-13 22:26    [W:0.071 / U:0.044 seconds]