SubjectRe: Invalid event (cycles:pp) in per-thread mode, enable system wide with '-a'.
On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 3:50 PM Stephane Eranian <eranian@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 2:56 PM Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > + Stephane, Kees, Sandipan, Bill, ClangBuiltLinux mailing list, Yonghong
> > https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-perf-users/msg23103.html
> > starts the thread, for context.

> > Having to recompile is less than ideal for my workflow. I have added a note to
> > https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/profiling/tree/main/perf#errors
> > Please let me know how I might improve the documentation.

> > > Right.
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220829113347.295-1-ravi.bangoria@amd.com
> >
> > Cool, thanks for working on this Ravi.
> >
> > I'm not sure yet whether I may replace the kernel on my corporate
> > provided workstation, so I'm not sure yet I can help test that patch.
> >
> > Can you confirm that
> > $ perf record -e cycles:pp --freq=128 --call-graph lbr -- <command to profile>
> >
> > works with just that patch applied? Or is there more work required?
> > What is the status of that patch?
> >
> > For context, we had difficulty upstreaming support for instrumentation
> > based profile guided optimizations in the Linux kernel.
> > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=whqCT0BeqBQhW8D-YoLLgp_eFY=8Y=9ieREM5xx0ef08w@mail.gmail.com/
> > We'd like to be able to use either instrumentation or sampling to
> > optimize our builds. The major barrier to sample based approaches are
> > architecture / micro architecture issues with sample based profile
> > data collection, and bitrot of data processing utilities.
> > https://github.com/google/autofdo/issues/144
>
> On existing AMD Zen2, Zen3 the following cmdline:
> $ perf record -e cycles:pp --freq=128 --call-graph lbr -- <command to profile>
>
> does not work. I see two reasons:
>
> 1. cycles:pp is likely converted into IBS op in cycle mode.
> Current kernels do not support IBS in per-thread mode.
> This is purely a kernel limitation

Sounds like Ravi has a diff that might work?
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-perf-users/85822c3c-2254-52cc-e6b1-9c89adb63771@amd.com/

> 2. call-graph lbr is not supported on AMD because they do
> not have LBR and therefore no LBR callstack mode
>
> The best way to get what you want here today on AMD Zen2 and Zen3:
>
> $ perf record -e cycles --freq=128 -g -- <command to profile>

So without recompiling to explicitly re-enable frame pointers, code
I'm looking to profile is built with -gmlt, so I get symbols, but I
can't observe callers.

Sounds like I'd need to rebuild with -fno-omit-frame-pointers which is
more painful than my prior LBR based workflow.

> On AMD Zen3, there is a precursor to LBR with Branch Sampling (BRS),
> and you can use it to sample taken branches but not for callstacks. I
> mention the cmdline here for reference:
>
> $ perf record -e cpu/branch-brs/ -c 1000037 -b -- <command to profile>
>
> Note that AMD Zen3 BRS is enough to get the autoFDO usage of an
> LBR working as per the cmdline above.

Interesting, but I'm stuck with a Zen2 box for a couple years now
(corporate workstation). This pretty much blows up all of the
profiling work I was doing, and any hope I had of contributing towards
building the kernel with AutoFDO profiles until this works on my box
with the kernel it has.

--
Thanks,
~Nick Desaulniers

  Last update: 2022-10-11 23:39    [W:0.096 / U:0.148 seconds]