SubjectRe: [RFC 00/13] kprobe/bpf: Add support to attach multiple kprobes
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 16:20:05 -0800
Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 3:52 PM Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 09:40:17 -0800
> > Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No. We're not going to call it "fprobe" or any other name.
> > > From bpf user's pov it's going to be "multi attach kprobe",
> > > because this is how everyone got to know kprobes.
> > > The 99% usage is at the beginning of the funcs.
> > > When users say "kprobe" they don't care how kernel attaches it.
> > > The func entry limitation for "multi attach kprobe" is a no-brainer.
> >
> > Agreed. I think I might mislead you. From the bpf user pov, it always be
> > shown as 'multi attached kprobes (but only for the function entry)'
> > the 'fprobe' is kernel internal API name.
> >
> > > And we need both "multi attach kprobe" and "multi attach kretprobe"
> > > at the same time. It's no go to implement one first and the other
> > > some time later.
> >
> > You can provide the interface to user space, but the kernel implementation
> > is optimized step by step. We can start it with using real multiple
> > kretprobes, and then, switch to 'fprobe' after integrating fgraph
> > callback. :)
>
> Sounds good to me.
> My point was that users often want to say:
> "profile speed of all foo* functions".
> To perform such a command a tracer would need to
> attach kprobes and kretprobes to all such functions.

Yeah, I know. That is more than 10 years issue since
systemtap. :)

> The speed of attach/detach has to be fast.

Yes, that's why I provided register/unregister_kprobes()
but it sounds not enough (and maybe not optimized enough
because all handlers are same)

> Currently tracers artificially limit the regex just because
> attach/detach is so slow that the user will likely Ctrl-C
> instead of waiting for many seconds.

Ah, OK.
Anyway I also would like to fix that issue. If user wants
only function entry/exit, it should be done by ftrace. But
since the syntax (and user's mind model) it should be done via
'kprobe', so transparently converting such request to ftrace
is needed.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>

  Last update: 2022-01-07 13:55    [W:0.097 / U:0.136 seconds]