SubjectRe: remove Xen tmem leftovers
From
On 05.01.22 07:08, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 04.01.22 15:31, David Hildenbrand wrote:
>> On 24.12.21 07:22, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> since the remove of the Xen tmem driver in 2019, the cleancache hooks are
>>> entirely unused, as are large parts of frontswap. This series against
>>> linux-next (with the folio changes included) removes cleancaches, and cuts
>>> down frontswap to the bits actually used by zswap.
>>>

>> Just out of curiosity, why was tmem removed from Linux (or even Xen?).
>> Do you have any information?
>
> tmem never made it past the "experimental" state in the Xen hypervisor.
> Its implementation had some significant security flaws, there was no
> maintainer left, and nobody stepped up to address those issues.
>
> As a result tmem was removed from Xen.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I know tmem mostly from the papers and
thought it was an interesting approach in general. There was even papers
about a virtio implementation, however, actual code never appeared in
the wild :)

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb

  Last update: 2022-01-05 09:46    [W:0.168 / U:0.176 seconds]