SubjectRe: [powerpc] ftrace warning kernel/trace/ftrace.c:2068 with code-patching selftests
On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 at 14:24, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 02:07:03PM +0100, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

> > > Not quite -- we could adjust it to do so, but today it doesn't consider
> > > existing mcount_loc entries, and just generates new ones where the compiler has
> > > generated calls to mcount, which it finds by scanning the instructions in the
> > > binary. Today it is not used:
> > >
> > > * On arm64 when we default to using `-fpatchable-function-entry=N`. That makes
> > > the compiler insert 2 NOPs in the function prologue, and log the location of
> > > that NOP sled to a section called. `__patchable_function_entries`.
> > >
> > > We need the compiler to do that since we can't reliably identify 2 NOPs in a
> > > function prologue as being intended to be a patch site, as e.g. there could
> > > be notrace functions where the compiler had to insert NOPs for alignment of a
> > > subsequent brnach or similar.
> > >
> > > * On architectures with `-nop-mcount`. On these, it's necessary to use
> > > `-mrecord-mcount` to have the compiler log the patch-site, for the same
> > > reason as with `-fpatchable-function-entry`.
> > >
> > > * On architectures with `-mrecord-mcount` generally, since this avoids the
> > > overhead of scanning each object.
> > >
> > > * On x86 when objtool is used.
> > >

> > Right.
> >
> > I suppose that on arm64, we can work around this by passing
> > --apply-dynamic-relocs to the linker, so that all R_AARCH64_RELATIVE
> > targets are prepopulated with the link time value of the respective
> > addresses. It does cause some bloat, which is why we disable that
> > today, but we could make that dependent on ftrace being enabled.
>
> We'd also need to teach the build-time sort to update the relocations, unless
> you mean to also change the boot-time reloc code to RMW with the offset?

Why would that be necessary? Every RELA entry has the same effect on
its target address, as it just adds a fixed offset.

> I think for right now the best thing is to disable the build-time sort for
> arm64, but maybe something like that is the right thing to do longer term.

Fair enough.

> > I do wonder how much over head we accumulate, though, by having all
> > these relocations, but I suppose that is the situation today in any
> > case.
>
> Yeah; I suspect if we want to do something about that we want to do it more
> generally, and would probably need to do something like the x86 approach and
> rewrite the relocs at build-time to something more compressed. If we applied
> the dynamic relocs with the link-time address we'd only need 4 bytes to
> identify each pointer to apply an offset to.
>
> I'm not exactly sure how we could do that, nor what the trade-off look like in
> practice.

It would make sense for -fpic codegen to use relative offsets in
__mcount_loc, but since we don't actually use -fpic on arm64, that
doesn't really help :-)

  Last update: 2022-01-27 15:01    [W:0.064 / U:0.456 seconds]