SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Bitmap patches for 5.17-rc1
On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 7:10 PM Yury Norov <yury.norov@gmail.com> wrote:

> bitmap patches for 5.17-rc1
>
> Hi Linus, please pull these patches for bitmap. They were supposed to
> be pulled in 5.16 cycle, but due to merge glitch we decided to merge them
> in 5.17.

So I'm looking at this pull request that changes quite a bit of random
files, and some rather core headers, and I see *no* actual explanation
for what this pull request does and why I should pull it.

Only a "we didn't do it last cycle, so we should do it now". That's
not much of an argument. If anything, it makes me go "there was
something wrong with it last time".

I can look at the commits (and I did), but that's really not how this
is all supposed to work.

When I _do_ look at the commits, one thing that stands out is how this
was all appears to be rebased after the merge window opened (just
minutes before you sent the pull request, I suspect).

Which is *also* not how things are supposed to work.

I also don't have your pgp key (not your fault - pgp key distribution
is broken because keyservers are broken) and I haven't pulled from you
before. That all just makes this pull request something where I think
it's all likely good, but there are enough problems that I haven't
actually pulled it.

Put another way: the contents do not appear _wrong_ per se, but there
are many things in this pull request that keep me from actually doing
the pull..

Linus

  Last update: 2022-01-20 16:54    [W:0.056 / U:0.284 seconds]