SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] "Fast Kernel Headers" Tree -v2

* Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 11:03 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 5:26 PM Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:
> > I've started building randconfig kernels for arm64 and x86, and fixing
> > up things that come up, a few things I have noticed out so far:
>
> I have run into a couple more specific issues:
>
> * net/smc/smc_ib.c:824:26: error: implicit declaration of function
> 'cache_line_size' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> cache_line_size is generally provided by linux/cache.h, which includes
> asm/cache.h.
> This works on arm64, but not on x86, where asm/cache.h would have to include
> asm/cpufeature.h, and but it would be good to avoid that because of the implicit
> linux/percpu.h and linux/bitops.h inclusions. Also, if I add the
> include, I get this
> build failure instead: include/linux/smp_types.h:88:33: error:
> requested alignment '20'
> is not a positive power of 2

Note that this particular one should be fixed in the WIP branch, which is
at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mingo/tip.git sched/headers

> * arm64 has a couple of issues around asm/memory.h, linux/mm_types.h and
> asm/page.h that can cause loops. I think my latest version has it figured
> out, but there is probably room for optimization.

Yeah, this is like the 5th attempt at finding a robust solution. :-/

> * There is no general way to get the get_order() definition, other than
> including asm/page.h from .c files. On arm64, this shows up in a couple
> of files after the cleanup. Only xtensa and ia64 define their own version
> of get_order(), and I think we should just remove those and move the
> generic version to linux/getorder.h, where any file using it can pick it
> up. For randconfig builds, I had to add asm/page.h to
> net/xdp/xsk_queue.c, mm/memtest.c and
> drivers/target/iscsi/iscsi_target_nego.c, after I removed the indirect
> include from arch/arm64/include/asm/mmu.h in the previous step.

Would including <linux/mm_page_address.h> be sufficient? That already has
an <asm/page.h> inclusion and is vaguely related.

I tried to avoid as many low level headers as possible from the main types
headers - and the get_order() functionality also brings in bitops
definitions, which I'm still hoping to be able to reduce from its current
~95% utilization in a distro kernel ...

We could add <linux/page_api.h> as well, as a standardized header. We
already have page_types.h and et_order() is a page types API.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2022-01-13 09:28    [W:0.080 / U:0.408 seconds]