SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] gpio: updates for v5.17
On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 7:53 AM Bartosz Golaszewski <brgl@bgdev.pl> wrote:

> The gpio-sim module is back, this time without any changes to configfs. This
> results in a less elegant user-space interface but I never got any follow-up on
> the committable items and didn't want to delay this module for several more
> months.

Yeah, I think that was the right choice.

I actually did spend some time looking at the configfs code, and it
just worried me. It may have been clever, but there was no real
serious user that would have used it outside of this gpio use-case,
and the games it played with the dentry layer were scary. With no real
maintainer for configfs, and no VFS person willing to work on it, I
think it was a dead end. With that in mind, the fewer fancy configfs
users we have, and the fewer reasons to use it, the better.

Linus

  Last update: 2022-01-11 21:37    [W:0.050 / U:0.032 seconds]