SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Memory folios for v5.15
From
On 9/9/21 06:56, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 9/9/21 14:43, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> So what is the result here? Not having folios (with that or another
>> name) is really going to set back making progress on sane support for
>> huge pages. Both in the pagecache but also for other places like direct
>> I/O.
>
> Yeah, the silence doesn't seem actionable. If naming is the issue, I believe
> Matthew had also a branch where it was renamed to pageset. If it's the
> unclear future evolution wrt supporting subpages of large pages, should we
> just do nothing until somebody turns that hypothetical future into code and
> we see whether it works or not?

When I saw Matthew's proposal to rename folio --> pageset, my reaction was,
"OK, this is a huge win!". Because:

* The new name addressed Linus' concerns about naming, which unblocks it
there, and

* The new name seems to meet all of the criteria of the "folio" name,
including even grep-ability, after a couple of tiny page_set and pageset
cases are renamed--AND it also meets Linus' criteria for self-describing
names.

So I didn't want to add noise to that thread, but now that there is still
some doubt about this, I'll pop up and suggest: do the huge
's/folio/pageset/g', and of course the associated renaming of the conflicting
existing pageset and page_set cases, and then maybe it goes in.

thanks,
--
John Hubbard
NVIDIA

  Last update: 2021-09-09 21:17    [W:0.288 / U:0.548 seconds]