SubjectRe: Folios for 5.15 request - Was: re: Folio discussion recap -
Date

> On Sep 22, 2021, at 12:26 PM, Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 11:46:04AM -0400, Kent Overstreet wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I think this is a result of me wanting to discuss a way
>>> forward rather than a way back.
>>>
>>> To clarify: I do very much object to the code as currently queued up,
>>> and not just to a vague future direction.
>>>
>>> The patches add and convert a lot of complicated code to provision for
>>> a future we do not agree on. The indirections it adds, and the hybrid
>>> state it leaves the tree in, make it directly more difficult to work
>>> with and understand the MM code base. Stuff that isn't needed for
>>> exposing folios to the filesystems.
>>>
>>> As Willy has repeatedly expressed a take-it-or-leave-it attitude in
>>> response to my feedback, I'm not excited about merging this now and
>>> potentially leaving quite a bit of cleanup work to others if the
>>> downstream discussion don't go to his liking.
>
> We're at a take-it-or-leave-it point for this pull request. The time
> for discussion was *MONTHS* ago.

I’ll admit I’m not impartial, but my fundamental goal is moving the patches forward. Given folios will need long term maintenance, engagement, and iteration throughout mm/, take-it-or-leave-it pulls seem like a recipe for future conflict, and more importantly, bugs.

I’d much rather work it out now.

-chris

  Last update: 2021-09-22 18:56    [W:0.110 / U:0.268 seconds]