SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] tracing: Fixes and clean ups for v5.14
On 8/12/21 11:57 AM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 8/12/21 11:17 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 8:04 AM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just used some default settings. I didn't choose to use -Wmain.
>>
>> What broken distro, what broken gcc version?
>
> openSUSE 15.3
> gcc (SUSE Linux) 7.5.0
>
>> We can certainly add a -Wno-main for this case. We already do that for
>> a lot of other idiotic warnings like -Wno-pointer-sign.
>
> That's what my first patch did, but Steven didn't like it.
>
>> But when we do so, I want the exact tool and distro version named and
>> shamed. Because I sure don't see that warning, and from what I can
>> tell, most other people don't see it either.
>>
>> So it's almost certainly your distro that has configured the gcc
>> install incorrectly - or some new gcc version that makes new insane
>> defaults. The commit message should talk about those kinds of details,
>> exactly so that people like me get an explanation for why we'd need
>> that odd '-Wno-main' flag.
>>
>> Maybe even the line in the Makefile should have it. Like that
>> -Wno-pointer-sign thing does:
>>
>>    # disable pointer signed / unsigned warnings in gcc 4.0
>>    KBUILD_CFLAGS += -Wno-pointer-sign
>>
>> just because unexplained random compiler flags are a bad thing (the
>> same way unexplained random code changes due to them are bad)

I probably misread that a bit. To be clear, my patch only set -Wno-main
for this one source file, not for the entire kernel tree, whereas Steven
wanted it to be set to the full kernel tree.

--
~Randy

  Last update: 2021-08-12 22:47    [W:0.071 / U:0.140 seconds]