SubjectRE: [Patch v2 2/3] Drivers: hv: add Azure Blob driver
Date
> Subject: RE: [Patch v2 2/3] Drivers: hv: add Azure Blob driver
>
> From: Long Li <longli@microsoft.com> Sent: Friday, July 2, 2021 4:59 PM
> > > PM
> > >
> > > [snip]

> NULL);
> file\n");
> debugfs_remove_recursive(az_blob_debugfs_root);
> #endif

> > > lock.

> > > az_blob_drv_init().

> > > az_blob_remove().
> > >
> > > In my scenario above, az_blob_remove_vmbus() and az_blob_remove()
> > > run to completion in Step #6, all while some other thread is still
> > > in the middle of an
> > > open() call and holding the file_lock spin lock. Then in Step #7
> > > az_blob_probe() runs. So az_blob_remove() and az_blob_probe()
> > > execute sequentially, not at the same time.
> > >
> > > Michael
> >
> > I think it's a valid scenario. The return value of
> > devtmpfs_delete_node() is not checked in misc_deregister(). It decreases
> the refcount on inodes but it's not guaranteed that someone else is still using
> it (in the middle of opening a file).
> >
> > However, this works fine for "rmmod" that causes device to be removed.
> > Before file is opened the refcount on the module is increased so it can't be
> removed when file is being opened. The scenario you described can't
> happen.
> >
> > But during VMBUS rescind, it can happen. It's possible that the driver
> > is using the spinlock that has been re-initialized, when the next VMBUS
> offer on the same channel comes before all the attempting open file calls
> exit.
>
> I was thinking about the rescind scenario. vmbus_onoffer_rescind() will run
> on the global workqueue. If it eventually calls az_blob_remove() and then
> az_blob_remove_device(), it will wait until the file_list is empty, which
> essentially means waiting until user space processes decide to close the
> instances they have open. This seems like a problem that could block the
> global workqueue for a long time and
> thereby hang the kernel. Is my reasoning valid? If so, I haven't
> thought about what the solution might be. It seems like we do need to wait
> until any in-progress requests to Hyper-V are complete because Hyper-V has
> references to guest physical memory. But waiting for all open instances to
> be closed seems to be problematic.

My tests showed that misc_deregister() caused all opened files to be released if there are no pending I/O waiting in the driver.

If there are pending I/O, we must wait as the VSP owns the memory of the I/O. The correct VSP behavior is to return all the pending I/O along with rescind. This is the same to what storvsc does for rescind.

It looks to me waiting for opened files after the call to misc_deregister(), but before removing the vmbus channel is a safe approach.

If the VSP is behaving correctly, the rescind process should not block for too long. If we want to deal with a buggy VSP that takes forever to release a resource, we want to create a work queue for rescind handling.

> Michael
>

> > This is a very rare. I agree things happen that we should make sure the
> driver can handle this. I'll update the driver.
> >
> > Long

> NULL, 0,
> >channel);
> az_blob_ringbuffer_size);

  Last update: 2021-07-09 21:45    [W:0.067 / U:0.536 seconds]