SubjectRe: [RFC] LKMM: Add volatile_if()
Dear all,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 12:52:35PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> [...]
> > :/
>
> So there are a lot of important details missing here and, as above, I think
> this is something worth discussing at LPC with Jade. The rough summary is
> that the arm64 memory model recently (so recently that it's not yet landed
> in the public docs) introduced something called "pick dependencies", which
> are a bit like control dependencies only they don't create order to all
> subsequent stores. These are useful for some conditional data-processing
> instructions such as CSEL and CAS, but it's important to note here that
> *conditional branch instructions behave exactly as you would expect*.
>
> <disclaimer; I don't work for Arm so any mistakes here are mine>
>
> To reiterate, in the code sequence at the top of this mail, if the compiler
> emits something along the lines of:
>
> LDR
> <conditional branch instruction>
> STR
>
> then the load *will* be ordered before the store, even if the same store
> instruction is executed regardless of the branch direction. Yes, one can
> fantasize about a CPU that executes both taken and non-taken paths and
> figures out that the STR can be hoisted before the load, but that is not
> allowed by the architecture today.
>
> It's the conditional instructions that are more fun. For example, the CSEL
> instruction:
>
> CSEL X0, X1, X2, <cond>
>
> basically says:
>
> if (cond)
> X0 = X1;
> else
> X0 = X2;
>
> these are just register-register operations, but the idea is that the CPU
> can predict that "branching event" inside the CSEL instruction and
> speculatively rename X0 while waiting for the condition to resolve.
>
> So then you can add loads and stores to the mix along the lines of:
>
> LDR X0, [X1] // X0 = *X1
> CMP X0, X2
> CSEL X3, X4, X5, EQ // X3 = (X0 == X2) ? X4 : X5
> STR X3, [X6] // MUST BE ORDERED AFTER THE LOAD
> STR X7, [X8] // Can be reordered
>
> (assuming X1, X6, X8 all point to different locations in memory)
>
> So now we have a dependency from the load to the first store, but the
> interesting part is that the last store is _not_ ordered wrt either of the
> other two memory accesses, whereas it would be if we used a conditional
> branch instead of the CSEL. Make sense?
>
> Now, obviously the compiler is blissfully unaware that conditional
> data processing instructions can give rise to dependencies than
> conditional branches, so the question really is how much do we need to
> care in the kernel?
>
> My preference is to use load-acquire instead of control dependencies so
> that we don't have to worry about this, or any future relaxations to the
> CPU architecture, at all.
>
> Jade -- please can you correct me if I got any of this wrong?

Sincere apologies in taking so long to reply. I attach a technical
report which describes the status of dependencies in the Arm memory
model.

I have also released the corresponding cat files and a collection of
interesting litmus tests over here:
https://github.com/herd/herdtools7/commit/f80bd7c2e49d7d3adad22afc62ff4768d65bf830

I hope this material can help inform this conversation and I would love
to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jade

> Will
[unhandled content-type:application/pdf]

  Last update: 2021-07-30 19:21    [W:0.245 / U:0.360 seconds]