SubjectRe: [RFC] Inline rotation support in dpu driver
On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 4:32 AM Kalyan Thota <kalyan_t@codeaurora.org> wrote:

> This change adds support for inline rotation in the dpu driver.
> When inline rotation is enabled the VIG pipes will directly fetch the image
> from memory in a rotated fashion
>
> Inline rotation has following restrictions
> 1) Supported only with compressed formats
> 2) max pre rotated height is 1088
> 3) restrictions with downscaling ratio
>
> Queries:
>
> 1) Since inline rotation works for fewer pixel formats with specific modifier, how can we provide this information to the compositor so that
> chrome compositor can choose between overlaying or falling back to GPU. In the patch it fails in the atomic check.
>
> 2) If a display composition fails in atomic check due to any of the restrictions in overlays
> can chrome compositor switch it back to the GPU and re trigger the commit ?

The correct way to provide this information to userspace is for the
atomic test step to fail. Admittedly the CrOS compositor makes some
invalid assumptions that if a given state was valid in the past, it
will be valid in the future. But I don't see height/format/downscale
restrictions as a thing that would change from frame to frame.

BR,
-R

> posting it as RFC as validation is not complete, please share early comments on this.
>
> Kalyan Thota (1):
> drm/msm/disp/dpu1: add support for inline rotation in dpu driver
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/msm/disp/dpu1/dpu_hw_catalog.c | 47 +++++++++----
> drivers/gpu/drm/msm/disp/dpu1/dpu_hw_catalog.h | 20 ++++++
> drivers/gpu/drm/msm/disp/dpu1/dpu_plane.c | 93 ++++++++++++++++++++------
> drivers/gpu/drm/msm/disp/dpu1/dpu_plane.h | 2 +
>
> --
> 2.7.4

  Last update: 2021-07-03 20:23    [W:0.085 / U:2.348 seconds]