SubjectRe: Folios give an 80% performance win
On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 02:44:13PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> The phoronix test uses postgres with only one relevant setting adjusted
> (increasing the max connection count). That will end up using a buffer pool of
> 128MB, no huge pages, and importantly is configured to aim for not more than
> 1GB for postgres' journal, which will lead to constant checkpointing. The test
> also only runs for 15 seconds, which likely isn't even enough to "warm up"
> (the creation of the data set here will take longer than the run).
>
> Given that the dataset phoronix is using is about ~16GB of data (excluding
> WAL), and uses 256 concurrent clients running full tilt, using that limited
> postgres settings doesn't end up measuring something particularly interesting
> in my opinion.

Hi Andreas,

I tend to use the phoronix test suite for my performance runs when
testing ext4 changes simply because it's convenient. Can you suggest
a better set configuration settings that I should perhaps use that
might give more "real world" numbers that you would find more
significant?

Thanks,

- Ted

  Last update: 2021-07-26 16:20    [W:0.913 / U:0.656 seconds]