SubjectRe: [Patch v4 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated access to Microsoft Azure Blob
On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 05:33:47PM +0000, Long Li wrote:
> > Subject: Re: [Patch v4 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated
> > access to Microsoft Azure Blob

> > > The driver is modeled to support multiple processes/users over a VMBUS
> > > channel. I don't see a way that this can be implemented through VFIO?
> > >
> > > Even if it can be done, this exposes a security risk as the same VMBUS
> > > channel is shared by multiple processes in user-mode.
> >
> > Sharing a VMBUS channel among processes is not necessary. I propose to
> > assign one VMBUS channel to each process and to multiplex I/O submitted to
> > channels associated with the same blob storage object inside e.g. the
> > hypervisor. This is not a new idea. In the NVMe specification there is a
> > diagram that shows that multiple NVMe controllers can provide access to the
> > same NVMe namespace. See also diagram "Figure 416: NVM Subsystem with
> > Three I/O Controllers" in version 1.4 of the NVMe specification.
> >
> > Bart.
>
> Currently, the Hyper-V is not designed to have one VMBUS channel for each process.

So it's a slow interface :(

> In Hyper-V, a channel is offered from the host to the guest VM. The host doesn't
> know in advance how many processes are going to use this service so it can't
> offer those channels in advance. There is no mechanism to offer dynamic
> per-process allocated channels based on guest needs. Some devices (e.g.
> network and storage) use multiple channels for scalability but they are not
> for serving individual processes.
>
> Assigning one VMBUS channel per process needs significant change on the Hyper-V side.

What is the throughput of a single channel as-is? You provided no
benchmarks or numbers at all in this patchset which would justify this
new kernel driver :(

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2021-07-20 20:18    [W:1.381 / U:0.008 seconds]