SubjectRe: [Patch v4 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated access to Microsoft Azure Blob
On 7/20/21 12:05 AM, Long Li wrote:
>> Subject: Re: [Patch v4 0/3] Introduce a driver to support host accelerated
>> access to Microsoft Azure Blob
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 09:37:56PM -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>>> such that this object storage driver can be implemented as a
>>> user-space library instead of as a kernel driver? As you may know vfio
>>> users can either use eventfds for completion notifications or polling.
>>> An interface like io_uring can be built easily on top of vfio.
>>
>> Yes. Similar to say the NVMe K/V command set this does not look like a
>> candidate for a kernel driver.
>
> The driver is modeled to support multiple processes/users over a VMBUS
> channel. I don't see a way that this can be implemented through VFIO?
>
> Even if it can be done, this exposes a security risk as the same VMBUS
> channel is shared by multiple processes in user-mode.

Sharing a VMBUS channel among processes is not necessary. I propose to
assign one VMBUS channel to each process and to multiplex I/O submitted
to channels associated with the same blob storage object inside e.g. the
hypervisor. This is not a new idea. In the NVMe specification there is a
diagram that shows that multiple NVMe controllers can provide access to
the same NVMe namespace. See also diagram "Figure 416: NVM Subsystem
with Three I/O Controllers" in version 1.4 of the NVMe specification.

Bart.

  Last update: 2021-07-20 17:41    [W:0.081 / U:0.304 seconds]