SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] vboxsf fixes for 5.14-1
On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 4:49 AM Leonidas P. Papadakos
<papadakospan@gmail.com> wrote:

> This driver is already in a much better feature state than the old ntfs driver from 2001.

If the new ntfs code has acks from people - and it sounds like it did
get them - and Paragon is expected to be the maintainer of it, then I
think Paragon should just make a git pull request for it.

That's assuming that it continues to be all in just fs/ntfs3/ (plus
fs/Kconfig, fs/Makefile and MAINTAINERS entries and whatever
documentation) and there are no other system-wide changes. Which I
don't think it had.

We simply don't have anybody to funnel new filesystems - the fsdevel
mailing list is good for comments and get feedback, but at some point
somebody just needs to actually submit it, and that's not what fsdevel
ends up doing.

The argument that "it's already in a much better state than the old
ntfs driver" may not be a very strong technical argument (not because
of any Paragon problems - just because the old ntfs driver is not
great), but it _is_ a fairly strong argument for merging the new one
from Paragon.

And I don't think there has been any huge _complaints_ about the code,
and I don't think there's been any sign that being outside the kernel
helps.

Linus

  Last update: 2021-07-16 20:08    [W:0.173 / U:0.240 seconds]