    SubjectRE: [RFC v2] /dev/iommu uAPI proposal
    Date

    To summarize, for vIOMMU we can work with the spec owner to
    define a proper interface to feedback such restriction into the guest
    if necessary. For the kernel part, it's clear that IOMMU fd should
    disallow two devices attached to a single [RID] or [RID, PASID] slot
    in the first place.

    Then the next question is how to communicate such restriction
    to the userspace. It sounds like a group, but different in concept.
    An iommu group describes the minimal isolation boundary thus all
    devices in the group can be only assigned to a single user. But this
    case is opposite - the two mdevs (both support ENQCMD submission)
    with the same parent have problem when assigned to a single VM
    (in this case vPASID is vm-wide translated thus a same pPASID will be
    used cross both mdevs) while they instead work pretty well when
    assigned to different VMs (completely different vPASID spaces thus
    different pPASIDs).

    One thought is to have vfio device driver deal with it. In this proposal
    it is the vfio device driver to define the PASID virtualization policy and
    report it to userspace via VFIO_DEVICE_GET_INFO. The driver understands
    the restriction thus could just hide the vPASID capability when the user
    calls GET_INFO on the 2nd mdev in above scenario. In this way the
    user even doesn't need to know such restriction at all and both mdevs
    can be assigned to a single VM w/o any problem.

    Does it sound a right approach?

    Thanks
    Kevin

      Last update: 2021-07-16 03:20    [W:4.157 / U:0.032 seconds]