SubjectRe: rtw88: rtw_{read,write}_rf locking questions
Hello Ping-Ke,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 3:48 AM Pkshih <pkshih@realtek.com> wrote:

> [...]
A quick update: we got scanning and authentication to work.

> > We are at a point where we can communicate with the SDIO card and
> > successfully upload the firmware to it.
> > Right now I have two questions about the locking in
> > rtw_{read,write}_rf from hci.h:
> > 1) A spinlock is used to protect RF register access. This is
> > problematic for SDIO, more information below. Would you accept a patch
> > to convert this into a mutex? I don't have any rtw88 PCIe card for
> > testing any regressions there myself.
>
> I think it's okay.
Great, thanks for confirming this!
I'll send a series of patches with locking preparations (patches which
add SDIO support will come later as we're still trying to narrow down
a few issues).

> > 2) I would like to understand why the RF register access needs to be
> > protected by a lock. From what I can tell RF register access doesn't
> > seem to be used from IRQ handlers.
>
> The use of lock isn't because we want to access the RF register in IRQ
> handlers. The reasons are
> 1. The ieee80211 iterative vif function we use is atomic type, so we can't
> use mutex.
> Do you change the type of iterative function?
yes, that is part of the "locking preparation" patches I mentioned above

> 2. RF register access isn't an atomic. If more than one threads access the
> register at the same time, the value will be wrong.
Understood, thanks for pointing this out.

Best regards,
Martin

  Last update: 2021-07-15 00:49    [W:0.043 / U:0.348 seconds]