SubjectRe: find_new_ilb
On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 09:51:30PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> Starting from the following commit:
>
> commit 45da7a2b0af8fa29dff2e6ba8926322068350fce
> Author: Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>
> Date: Tue Aug 18 10:48:17 2020 +0200
>
> sched/fair: Exclude the current CPU from find_new_ilb()
>
> up through Linux 5.12, I observed that often when most of the machine was
> idle, there could be many (thousands) of sched_wake_idle_without_ipi
> events, typically between cores 0 and 1. I don't see this any more in
> Linux v5.13-rc1. I looked through the patches to fair.c and core.c
> subsequent to v5.12, and I didn't see anything that explicitly addresses
> this issue. Before I plunge into another set of rounds of bisecting, I
> wonder if anyone knows whether and how this problem was resolved?

Hurmph.. that patch was preparation for a later change that never seems
to have happened. If it is causing trouble for you, I think you can
savely revert it.

At the time I thought it was very strange that new_idle would select
itself as idle-balancer, doubly so, because the only way to get there
would be with NEED_RESCHED already set, so the IPI wouldn't in fact do
anything.

Looking again, the difference is ofcourse that previously we'd select
self and NO-OP, but now we'll potentially select another CPU and
actually do something.

This is arguably an improvement, because we did want to do something.

I can't quite remember what would've change here since, Vincent, can
you remember?

Anyway, is this actually causing you trouble, or are you just going on
the increased number of events?

  Last update: 2021-06-09 09:13    [W:0.045 / U:0.252 seconds]