SubjectRe: Unsupported phy-connection-type sgmii-2500 in arch/powerpc/boot/dts/fsl/t1023rdb.dts
On Friday 04 June 2021 21:47:26 Madalin Bucur wrote:
> [...]

Madalin, my understanding is that "sgmii-2500" mode is unknown and
unsupported by kernel.

List of known modes which can be specified in DTS file are defined in
YAML schema for 'phy-connection-type' in file:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/ethernet-controller.yaml?h=v5.12#n55

And there is none "sgmii-2500", so some DTS schema validator could throw
validation error for that DTS file. I'm not sure if somebody has written
DTS schema validator with all those things (like there are JSON schema
or OpenAPI validators in JavaScript / HTTP world).

Plus also in linux/phy.h header file contains list of known Linux modes:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/include/linux/phy.h?h=v5.12#n169

And based on all information in this email discussion, in my opinion the
mode which HW supports matches Linux meaning of "2500base-x" key/string.
So I would suggest to rename "sgmii-2500" in that DTS file to
"2500base-x". Does it make sense?

But as this is really confusing what each mode means for Linux, I would
suggest that documentation for these modes in ethernet-controller.yaml
file (or in any other location) could be extended. I see that it is
really hard to find exact information what these modes mean and what is
their meaning in DTS / kernel.

  Last update: 2021-06-05 01:35    [W:0.151 / U:0.728 seconds]