SubjectRe: [RFC 1/3] ARM: dts: imx28: Add description for L2 switch on XEA board
Hi Joakim, Andrew,

> Hi Lukasz,

Thanks for the clear statement, appreciated.

> I am not very experienced for FEC driver, since I
> have just maintained it for half a year.

Ok. No problem.

> To be honest, I have no idea
> in my head right now, we even don't have i.MX28 boards.

As fair as I remember there is still imx28-dev board available for
purchase. You can also use vf610 based board.

> I'm so sorry
> about this, but I am also interested in it, I am finding time to
> increase related knowledge.

Ok.

To sum up:

- The FEC driver (legacy one) will not be rewritten anytime soon
(maybe any other community member will work on this sooner...)

- Considering the above, support for L2 switch on imx28, vf610 is
blocked [*]. As a result some essential functionality for still
actively used SoCs is going to be maintained out of tree (for example
[1][2]).

[*] - as I've stated in the other mail - what's about the situation
where FEC legacy driver is not going to be excessively modified (just
changes from this patch set)?

Links:

[1] -
https://source.denx.de/linux/linux-imx28-l2switch/-/commits/imx28-v5.12-L2-upstream-switchdev-RFC_v1

[2] -
https://source.denx.de/linux/linux-imx28-l2switch/-/commits/imx28-v5.12-L2-upstream-DSA-RFC_v1

> Best Regards,
> Joakim Zhang
> >
> > Links:
> > [1] -
> > https://source.denx.de/linux/linux-imx28-l2switch/-/commits/imx28-v5.12-L2-u
> > pstream-DSA-RFC_v1
> > [2] -
> > https://source.denx.de/linux/linux-imx28-l2switch/-/commits/imx28-v5.12-L2-u
> > pstream-switchdev-RFC_v1
> >
> > > Best Regards,
> > > Joakim Zhang
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Lukasz Majewski
> >
> > --
> >
> > DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang
> > Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell,
> > Germany Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email:
> > lukma@denx.de

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@denx.de

  Last update: 2021-06-25 12:19    [W:0.040 / U:0.548 seconds]