SubjectRe: Virtualizing MSI-X on IMS via VFIO
On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 00:00:37 +0000
"Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

We have options with existing interfaces if we want to provide some
programmatic means through vfio to hint to userspace about vector
usage. Otherwise I don't see much justification for this new ioctl, it
can largely be done with SET_IRQS, or certainly with extensions of
flags.

> > > So no, we are not going to proliferate this complete ignorance of how
> > > MSI-X actually works and just cram another "feature" into code which is
> > > known to be incorrect.
> >
> > Some of the issues of virtualizing MSI-X are unsolvable without
> > creating a new paravirtual interface, but obviously we want to work
> > with existing drivers and unmodified guests, so that's not an option.
> >
> > To work with what we've got, the vfio API describes the limitation of
> > the host interfaces via the VFIO_IRQ_INFO_NORESIZE flag. QEMU then
> > makes a choice in an attempt to better reflect what we can infer of the
> > guest programming of the device to incrementally enable vectors. We
>
> It's a surprise to me that Qemu even doesn't look at this flag today after
> searching its code...

There are no examples of the alternative, it would be dead, untested
code. The flag exists in the uAPI to indicate a limitation of the
underlying implementation that has always existed. Should we remove
that limitation, as Thomas now sees as possible, then QEMU wouldn't
need to make a choice whether to fully allocate the vector table or
incrementally tear-down and re-init.

> > could a) work to provide host kernel interfaces that allow us to remove
> > that noresize flag and b) decide whether QEMU's usage policy can be
> > improved on kernels where vector exhaustion is no longer an issue.
>
> Thomas can help confirm but looks noresize limitation is still there.
> b) makes more sense since Thomas thinks vector exhaustion is not
> an issue now (except one minor open about irte).

As noted elsewhere, a) is indeed a limitation of the host interfaces,
not implicit to MSI-X. Obviously we can look at different QEMU
policies, including generating hardware faults to the VM on exhaustion
or unmask failures, interrupt injection or better inferring potential
vector usage. Thanks,

Alex

  Last update: 2021-06-24 19:53    [W:0.060 / U:0.200 seconds]