SubjectRe: Virtualizing MSI-X on IMS via VFIO

On 6/22/2021 3:16 AM, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]
> by host idxd driver which then figure out which PASID to register to
> msi_desc (require PASID translation info via new /dev/iommu proposal).
>
> The guest driver is expected to update MSIX_PERM before request_irq().
>
> Now the 2nd open requires your help. Below is what I learned from
> current vfio/qemu code (for vfio-pci device):
>
> 0) Qemu doesn't attempt to allocate all irqs as reported by msix->
> table_size. It is done in an dynamic and incremental way.
>
> 1) VFIO provides just one command (VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS) for
> allocating/enabling irqs given a set of vMSIX vectors [start, count]:
>
> a) if irqs not allocated, allocate irqs [start+count]. Enable irqs for
> specified vectors [start, count] via request_irq();
> b) if irqs already allocated, enable irqs for specified vectors;
> c) if irq already enabled, disable and re-enable irqs for specified
> vectors because user may specify a different eventfd;
>
> 2) When guest enables virtual MSI-X capability, Qemu calls VFIO_
> DEVICE_SET_IRQS to enable vector#0, even though it's currently
> masked by the guest. Interrupts are received by Qemu but blocked
> from guest via mask/pending bit emulation. The main intention is
> to enable physical MSI-X;
>
> 3) When guest unmasks vector#0 via request_irq(), Qemu calls VFIO_
> DEVICE_SET_IRQS to enable vector#0 again, with a eventfd different
> from the one provided in 2);
>
> 4) When guest unmasks vector#1, Qemu finds it's outside of allocated
> vectors (only vector#0 now):
>
> a) Qemu first calls VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS to disable and free
> irq for vector#0;
>
> b) Qemu then calls VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS to allocate and enable
> irqs for both vector#0 and vector#1;
>
> 5) When guest unmasks vector#2, same flow in 4) continues.

> If above understanding is correct, how is lost interrupt avoided between
> 4.a) and 4.b) given that irq has been torn down for vector#0 in the middle
> while from guest p.o.v this vector is actually unmasked? There must be
> a mechanism in place, but I just didn't figure it out...
>
> Given above flow is robust, mapping Thomas's model to this flow is
> straightforward. Assume idxd mdev has two vectors: vector#0 for
> misc/error interrupt and vector#1 as completion interrupt for guest
> sva. VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS is handled by idxd mdev driver:
>
> 2) When guest enables virtual MSI-X capability, Qemu calls VFIO_
> DEVICE_SET_IRQS to enable vector#0. Because vector#0 is not
> used for sva, MSIX_PERM#0 has PASID disabled. Host idxd driver
> knows to register default PASID to msi_desc#0 when allocating irqs.
> Then .startup() callback of ims irqchip is called to program default
> PASID saved in msi_desc#0 to the target ims entry when request_irq().
>
> 3) When guest unmasks vector#0 via request_irq(), Qemu calls VFIO_
> DEVICE_SET_IRQS to enable vector#0 again. Following same logic
> as vfio-pci, idxd driver first disable irq#0 via free_irq() and then
> re-enable irq#0 via request_irq(). It's still default PASID being used

Hi Kevin, slight correction here. Because vector#0 is emulated for idxd
vdev, it has no IMS backing. So there is no msi_desc#0 for that vector.
msi_desc#0 actually starts at vector#1 where IMS is allocated to back
it. vector#0 does not go through request_irq(). It only has eventfd
part. Everything you say is correct but starts at vector#1.

> 4) When guest unmasks vector#1, Qemu finds it's outside of allocated
> vectors (only vector#0 now):
>
> a) Qemu first calls VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS to disable and free
> irq for vector#0. msi_desc#0 is also freed.
>
> b) Qemu then calls VFIO_DEVICE_SET_IRQS to allocate and enable
> irqs for both vector#0 and vector#1. At this point, MSIX_PERM#0
> has PASID disabled while MSIX_PERM#1 has a valid guest PASID1
> for sva. idxd driver registers default PASID to msix_desc#0 and
> host PASID2 (translated from guest PASID1) to msix_desc#1 when
> allocating irqs. Later when both irqs are enabled via request_irq(),
> ims irqchip driver updates the target ims entries according to
> msix_desc#0 and misx_desc#1 respectively.
>
> But this is specific to how Qemu virtualizes MSI-X today. What about it
> may change (or another device model) to allocate all table_size irqs
> when guest enables MSI-X capability? At that point we don't have valid
> MSIX_PERM content to register PASID info to msix_desc. Possibly what
> we really require is a separate helper function allowing driver to update
> msix_desc after irq allocation, e.g. when guest unmasks a vector...
>
> and do you see any other facets which are overlooked here?
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

  Last update: 2021-06-22 17:52    [W:0.132 / U:0.036 seconds]