SubjectRe: Functional Coverage via RV? (was: "Learning-based Controlled Concurrency Testing")
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 09:25PM +0200, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira wrote:
> On 6/21/21 12:30 PM, Marco Elver wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 10:23AM +0200, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> So you want to observe a given a->b transition, not that B was visited?
> >
> > An a->b transition would imply that a and b were visited.
>
> HA! let's try again with a less abstract example...

Terminology misunderstanding.

I mean "state transition". Writing "a->b transition" led me to infer 'a'
and 'b' are states, but from below I infer that you meant an "event
trace" (viz. event sequence). So it seems I was wrong.

Let me be clearer: transition A -[a]-> B implies states A and B were
visited. Hence, knowing that event 'a' occurred is sufficient, and
actually provides a little more information than just "A and B were
visited".

> | +------------ on --+----------------+
> v ^ +--------v v
> +========+ | +===========+>--- suspend ---->+===========+
> | OFF | +- on --<| ON | | SUSPENDED |
> +========+ <------ shutdown -----<+===========+<----- on -------<+===========+
> ^ v v
> +--------------- off ----------------+-----------------------------+
>
> Do you care about:
>
> 1) states [OFF|ON|SUSPENDED] being visited a # of times; or
> 2) the occurrence of the [on|suspend|off] events a # of times; or
> 3) the language generated by the "state machine"; like:
>
> the occurrence of *"on -> suspend -> on -> off"*
>
> which is != of
>
> the occurrence of *"on -> on -> suspend -> off"*
>
> although the same events and states occurred the same # of times
> ?

They are all interesting, but unrealistic for a fuzzer to keep track of.
We can't realistically keep track of all possible event traces. Nor that
some state or event was visited # of times.

What I did mean is as described above: the simple occurrence of an
event, as it implies some previous and next state were visited.

The fuzzer then builds up knowledge of which inputs cause some events to
occur. Because it knows it has inputs for such events, it will then try
to further combine these inputs hoping to reach new coverage. This leads
to various distinct event traces using the events it has already
observed. All of this is somewhat random of course, because fuzzers are
not meant to be model checkers.

If someone wants something more complex as you describe, it'd have to
explicitly become part of the model (if possible?). The problem of
coverage explosion applies, and we may not recommend such usage anyway.

> RV can give you all... but the way to inform this might be different.
>
> >> I still need to understand what you are aiming to verify, and what is the
> >> approach that you would like to use to express the specifications of the systems...
> >>
> >> Can you give me a simple example?
> >
> > The older discussion started around a discussion how to get the fuzzer
> > into more interesting states in complex concurrent algorithms. But
> > otherwise I have no idea ... we were just brainstorming and got to the
> > point where it looked like "functional coverage" would improve automated
> > test generation in general. And then I found RV which pretty much can
> > specify "functional coverage" and almost gets that information to KCOV
> > "for free".
>
> I think we will end up having an almost for free solution, but worth the price.
>
> >> so, you want to have a different function for every transition so KCOV can
> >> observe that?
> >
> > Not a different function, just distinct "basic blocks". KCOV uses
> > compiler instrumentation, and a sequence of non-branching instructions
> > denote one point of coverage; at the next branch (conditional or otherwise)
> > it then records which branch was taken and therefore we know which code
> > paths were covered.
>
> ah, got it. But can't KCOV be extended with another source of information?

Not without changing KCOV. And I think we're weary of something like
that due to the potential for coverage explosion. -fsanitize-coverage
has various options to capture different types of coverage actually, not
purely basic block based coverage. (KCOV already supports
KCOV_ENABLE_COMPARISONS, perhaps that could help somehow. It captures
arguments of comparisons.)

> >> It is a the transition function of the formal automaton definition. Check this:
> >>
> >> https://bristot.me/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/JSA_preprint.pdf
> >>
> >> page 9.
> >>
> >> Could this just
> >>
> >> a switch statement that would.... call a different function for each transition?
> >
> > No, just a switch statement that returns the same thing as it does
> > today. But KCOV wouldn't see different different coverage with the
> > current version because it's all in one basic block because it looks up
> > the next state given the current state out of the array. If it was a
> > switch statement doing the same thing, the compiler will turn the thing
> > into conditional branches and KCOV then knows which code path
> > (effectively the transition) was covered.

Per Dmitry's comment, yes we need to be careful that the compiler
doesn't collapse the switch statement somehow. But this should be
achievable with a bunch or 'barrier()' after every 'case ...:'.

> [ the answer for this points will depend on your answer from my first question
> on this email so... I will reply it later ].
>
> -- Daniel

  Last update: 2021-06-22 12:48    [W:1.066 / U:0.036 seconds]