SubjectRe: [RFC 2/2] timers: Make sure irq_work is handled when no pending timers
Date
On Sat, Jun 19 2021 at 00:47, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10 2021 at 14:59, Nicolas Saenz Julienne wrote:
> As we since then made work queues RT aware and it's possible to queue
> work from the irq_work IPI context, the obvious solution is to delegate
> this to a work queue.
>
> If we do a proper analysis of the affected irq work callbacks then this
> probably makes a lot of sense independent of RT. There are only a few
> really urgent irq work items which need to be handled immediately in the
> IPI.
>
> RT is special, but as we have demonstrated over time it's not _that_
> special. It just needs a proper analysis and a real good argument why
> something has to be special for RT and does not fit into the common
> case. Or to demonstrate that the common case approach of 'do it right
> away' is pointless or even harmfull.

I skimmed most of the ~40 irq_work instances.

Most of them have no urgency at all. And out of those non-urgent cases
the majority does not even have the requirement to run on the current
CPU, so they can be pushed off to a global work queue which moves them
away from NOHZ full CPUs completely.

That has nothing to do with RT, that's a benefit in general.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2021-06-19 10:23    [W:0.072 / U:0.148 seconds]