    SubjectRe: Very slow clang kernel config ..
    On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 03:03:31AM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

    > People went through great efforts to support shared libraries, sacrificed
    > performance for it even back then when the computing power was much lower
    > than nowadays.

    That was because memory was *incredibly* restrictive in those days.
    My first Linux server had one gig of memory, and so shared libraries
    provided a huge performance boost --- because otherwise systems would
    be swapping or paging their brains out.

    However, these days, many if not most developers aren't capable of the
    discpline needed to maintained the ABI stability needed for shared
    libraries to work well. I can think several packages where if you
    used shared libraries, the major version number would need to be
    bumped at every releases, because people don't know how to spell ABI,
    never mind be able to *preserve* ABI. Heck, it's the same reason that
    we don't promise kernel ABI compatibility for kernel modules!

    https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/process/stable-api-nonsense.rst

    And in the case of Debian, use of shared libraries means that every
    time you release a new version of, say, f2fs-tools, things can get
    stalled for months or in one case, over a year, due to the new package
    review process (a shared library version bump means a new binary
    package, and that in turn requires a full review of the entire source
    package for GPL compliance from scratch, and f2fs-tools has bumped
    their shared library major version *every* *single* *release*) ---
    during which time, security bug fixes were being held up due to the
    new package review tarpit.

    If people could actually guarantee stable ABI's, then shared libraries
    might make sense. E2fsprogs hasn't had a major version bump in shared
    libraries for over a decade (although some developers whine and
    complain about how I reject function signature changes in the
    libext2fs library to provide that ABI stability). But how many
    userspace packages can make that claim?

    - Ted

      Last update: 2021-05-03 16:38    [W:2.561 / U:0.004 seconds]