SubjectRe: QCA6174 pcie wifi: Add pci quirks
Thanks to both of you, Bjorn and Pali!
I had hoped that Pali would come with an appropriate fix. Good to know,
that this is taken care of.

Will test ASAP, but I am confident, that it will work anyway.
Should it unexpectedly not fix my issues, I'll let you know.
Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,
Ingmar

Am 26.05.2021 um 00:12 schrieb Bjorn Helgaas:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 09:53:38PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> On Thursday 15 April 2021 13:01:19 Alex Williamson wrote:
>>> [cc +Pali]

>> I have been testing more ath cards and I'm going to send a new version
>> of this patch with including more PCI ids.
> Dropping this patch in favor of Pali's new version.

>>> If you run lspci -vvv on your device, what do LnkCap and LnkSta report
>>> under the express capability? I wonder if your device even supports
>>> I would not expect that patch to be relevant to you based on your
>>> report. I understand it to resolve an issue during link retraining to a
>>> higher speed on boot, not during a bus reset. Pali can correct if I'm
>>> wrong. Thanks,
>> These two issues are are related. Both operations (PCIe Hot Reset and
>> PCIe Link Retraining) cause reset of ath chips. Seems that they cause
>> double reset. After reset these chips reads configuration from internal
>> EEPROM/OTP and if another reset is triggered prior chip finishes
>> internal configuration read then it stops working. My testing showed
>> that ath10k chips completely disappear from the PCIe bus, some ath9k
>> chips works fine but starts reporting incorrect PCI ID (0xABCD) and some
>> other ath9k chips reports correct PCI ID but does not work. I had
>> discussion with Adrian Chadd who knows probably everything about ath9k
>> and confirmed me that this issue is there with ath9k and ath10k chips.
>>
>> He wrote me that workaround to turn card back from this "broken" state
>> is to do PCIe Cold Reset of the card, which means turning power supply
>> off for particular PCIe slot. Such thing is not supported on many
>> low-end boards, so workaround cannot be applied.
>>
>> I was able to recover my testing cards from this "broken" state by PCIe
>> Warm Reset (= reset via PERST# pin).
>>
>> I have tried many other reset methods (PCIe PM reset, Link Down, PCIe
>> Hot Reset with bigger internal, ...) but nothing worked. So seems that
>> the only workaround is to do PCIe Cold Reset or PCIe Warm Reset.
>>
>> I will send V2 of my patch with details and explanation.
>>
>> As kernel does not have API for doing PCIe Warm Reset, I think is
>> another argument why kernel really needs it.
>>
>> I do not have any QCA6174 card for testing, but based on the fact I
>> reproduced this issue with more ath9k and ath10 cards and Adrian
>> confirmed that above reset issue is there, I think that it affects all
>> AR9xxx and QCAxxxx cards handled by ath9k and ath10 drivers.
>>
>> I was told that AMI BIOS was patching their BIOSes found in notebooks to
>> avoid triggering this issue on notebooks ath9k cards.
>>
>>> Alex

  Last update: 2021-05-28 20:09    [W:0.104 / U:0.140 seconds]