SubjectRe: [RFC] virtio_scsi: to poll and kick the virtqueue in timeout handler
On 5/25/21 6:47 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 11:33:33PM -0700, Dongli Zhang wrote:

>>> I agree. In principle it's fine to poll the virtqueue at any time, but I
>>> don't understand the failure scenario here. It's not clear to me why the
>>> device-to-driver vq notification could be lost.
>>>

>> One example is the CPU hotplug issue before the commit bf0beec0607d ("blk-mq:
>> drain I/O when all CPUs in a hctx are offline") was available. The issue is
>> equivalent to loss of interrupt. Without the CPU hotplug fix, while NVMe driver
>> relies on the timeout handler to complete inflight IO requests, the PV
>> virtio-scsi may hang permanently.
>>
>> In addition, as the virtio/vhost/QEMU are complex software, we are not able to
>> guarantee there is no further lost of interrupt/kick issue in the future. It is
>> really painful if we encounter such issue in production environment.
>
> Any number of hardware or software bugs might exist that we don't know
> about, yet we don't pre-emptively add workarounds for them because where
> do you draw the line?
>
> I checked other SCSI/block drivers and found it's rare to poll in the
> timeout function so there does not seem to be a consensus that it's
> useful to do this.

Not only this; it's downright dangerous attempting to do that in SCSI.
In SCSI we don't have fixed lifetime guarantees that NVMe has, so there
will be a race condition between timeout and command completion.
Plus there is no interface in SCSI allowing to 'poll' for completions in
a meaningful manner.

> That said, it's technically fine to do it, the virtqueue APIs are there
> and can be used like this. So if you and others think this is necessary,
> then it's a pretty small change and I'm not against merging a patch like
> this.

I would rather _not_ put more functionality into the virtio_scsi timeout
handler; this only serves to assume that the timeout handler has some
functionality in virtio.
Which it patently hasn't, as the prime reason for a timeout handler is
to _abort_ a command, which we can't on virtio.
Well, we can on virtio, but qemu as the main user will re-route the I/O
from virtio into doing async-I/O, and there is no way how we can abort
outstanding asynchronous I/O.
Or any other ioctl, for that matter.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke Kernel Storage Architect
hare@suse.de +49 911 74053 688

  Last update: 2021-05-25 19:25    [W:0.067 / U:2.436 seconds]