SubjectRe: Candidate Linux ABI for Intel AMX and hypothetical new rel ated features

On Fri, May 21, 2021, at 12:10 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Fri, May 21 2021 at 09:31, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> > arch_prctl(SET_XSTATE_INIT_ON_FIRST_USE, TILE_STUFF);?
> >
> > As long as this is allowed to fail, I don’t have a huge problem with
> > it.
>
> I'm fine with that. It's still controlled by the OS and can return
> -EPERM.
>
> If allowed then the application would also accept to be insta killed if
> that #NM allocation fails. Any bug report vs. that will be ignored.
>
> > I think several things here are regrettable:
> >
> > 1. Legacy XSTATE code might assume that XCR0 is a constant.
> >
> > 2. Intel virt really doesn’t like us context switching XCR0, although
> > we might say that this is Intel’s fault and therefore Intel’s
> > problem. AMD hardware doesn’t appear to have this issue.
> >
> > 3. AMX bring tangled up in XSTATE is unfortunate. The whole XSTATE
> > mechanism is less than amazing.
> >
> > IMO the best we can make of this whole situation is to make XCR0
> > dynamic, but the legacy compatibility issues are potentially
> > problematic.
>
> Why? The bit can be enabled and #NM catches the violation of the ABI
> contract if the application did not request usage. No XCR0 fiddling on
> context switch required.
>
> Thanks,
>
> tglx

XFD does nothing about signals. It also doesn’t help give applications a non-Linux-specific way to ask if AMX is available. The SDM says that one can read XCR0. Sure, we can use it, but cross platform libraries seem likely to get it wrong.

  Last update: 2021-05-21 22:09    [W:0.211 / U:0.064 seconds]