    SubjectRe: Candidate Linux ABI for Intel AMX and hypothetical new related features
    On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 4:54 PM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

    Thomas,

    > > AMX is analogous to the multiplier used by AVX-512.
    > > The architectural state must exist on every CPU, including HT siblings.
    > > Today, the HT siblings share the same execution unit,
    > > and I have no reason to expect that will change.
    >
    > I'm well aware that HT siblings share the same execution unit for
    > AVX.
    >
    > Though AMX is if I remember the discussions two years ago correctly
    > shared by more than the HT siblings which makes things worse.

    I regret that we were unable to get together in the last year to have
    an updated discussion. I think if we had, then we would have saved
    a lot of mis-understanding and a lot of email!

    So let me emphasize here:

    There is one TMUL execution unit per core.
    It is shared by the HT siblings within that core.

    So the comparison to the AVX-512 multiplier is a good one.

    Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center

      Last update: 2021-05-20 23:24    [W:7.527 / U:1.216 seconds]