SubjectRe: [LKP] Re: [clocksource] 6c52b5f3cf: stress-ng.opcode.ops_per_sec -14.4% regression
On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 10:14:38AM +0800, Feng Tang wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 10:53:22AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 08:29:20PM +0800, Feng Tang wrote:
> > > Hi Paul,
> > >
> > > On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 07:02:54AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I read you patchset, and I think the recheck to avoid false alarm makes
> > > sense to me, as well as the debug method you adds, and they have no
> > > conflict with my patches which tends to newer x86 platforms only.
> >
> > Would you be willing to give your Tested-by, Acked-by, or Reviewed-by
> > to those patches?
>
> I haven't ack because I'm afraid I may overlook some corner case as I
> don't have the overall picture of it.
>
> And I will check more and do some tests on them.

Thank you very much! If tests go well, I will post another series
later today, Pacific Time.

> > Obviously, you would not be willing to do so for the patch that reduces
> > the skew threshold, at least not until my most recent patch is beaten
> > into shape.
>
> I still tend to agree with Zhengjun's 1/100 suggestion, though that
> may not be safe enough :)

I have to rely on your guys' judgment. I didn't see early-tsc failures
in my testing, even with the tighter bounds. That said, 1/100 is
quite loose.

> > > And yes, I only have met and debugged tsc wrongly marked unstable cases
> > > on several clients platforms, and in one case I disabled the HPET for
> > > Baytrail 10 years ago. Our test farm has different kinds of servers,
> > > only up to 4 sockets and 192 CPUs, where no tsc unstable issue has been
> > > seen.
> >
> > That is encouraging, but how many systems are in your test farm?
>
> Good point, we only have less than 20 servers, which is tiny comparing
> to the real server centers.

Indeed, we are some orders of magnitude above that.

> > > And I'm eager to know if there is any real case of an unreliable tsc
> > > on the 'large numbers' of x86 system which complies with our cpu feature
> > > check. And if there is, my 2/2 definitely should be dropped.
> >
> > If you have enough systems, you see all sorts of strange things just
> > due to the normal underlying failure rate of hardware.
> >
> > So my question is instead whether we will see any TSC failures
> > unaccompanied by any other signs of trouble.
> >
> > And if your 2/2 goes in, those who still distrust TSC will simply
> > revert it. In their defense, their distrust was built up over a very
> > long period of time for very good reasons.

> > > Possibly :)
> > >
> > > But I wonder if tsc is disabled on that 'large system', what will be
> > > used instead? HPET is known to be much slower for clocksource, as shown
> > > in this regression report :) not mentioning the 'acpi_pm' timer.
> >
> > Indeed, the default switch to HPET often causes the system to be taken
> > out of service due to the resulting performance shortfall. There is
> > of course some automated recovery, and no, I am not familiar with the
> > details, but I suspect that a simple reboot is an early recovery step.
> > However, if the problem were to persist, the system would of course be
> > considered to be permanently broken.
>
> Thanks for the info, if a sever is taken out of service just because
> of a false alarm of tsc, then it's a big waste!

Exactly! ;-)

> > > Again, I want to know the real tsc unstable case. I have spent lots
> > > of time searching these info from git logs and mail archives before
> > > writing the patches.
> >
> > So do I, which is why I put together this patch series. My employer has
> > a fairly strict upstream-first for things like this which are annoyances
> > that are likely hiding other bugs, but which are not causing significant
> > outages, which was of course the motivation for the fault-injection
> > patches.
> >
> > As I said earlier, it would have been very helpful to you for a patch
> > series like this to have been applied many years ago. If it had been,
> > we would already have the failure-rate data that you requested. And of
> > course if that failure-rate data indicated that TSC was reliable, there
> > would be far fewer people still distrusting TSC.
>
> Yes, if they can share the detailed info (like what's the 'watchdog')
> and debug info, it can enable people to debug and root cause the
> problem to be a false alarm or a real silicon platform. Personally, for
> newer platforms I tend to trust tsc much more than other clocksources.

Well, in many cases, performance considerations force us to use TSC!

But I would guess that some yet-as-unknown fraction of the historical
reports of TSC issues are just false positives due to delays.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2021-04-25 21:14    [W:0.086 / U:0.260 seconds]