SubjectRe: Doubt regarding memory allocation in KVM
On 20/04/21 07:45, Shivank Garg wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm learning about qemu KVM, looking into code and experimenting on
> it. I have the following doubts regarding it, I would be grateful if
> you help me to get some idea on them.
>
> 1. I observe that KVM allocates memory to guests when it needs it but
> doesn't take it back (except for ballooning case).
> Also, the Qemu/KVM process does not free the memory even when the
> guest is rebooted. In this case, Does the Guest VM get access to
> memory already pre-filled with some garbage from the previous run??

Yes.

> (Since the host would allocate zeroed pages to guests the first time
> it requests but after that it's up to guests). Can it be a security
> issue?

No, it's the same that happens on non-virtual machine.

> 2. How does the KVM know if GPFN (guest physical frame number) is
> backed by an actual machine frame number in host? If not mapped, then
> it faults in the host and allocates a physical frame for guests in the
> host. (kvm_mmu_page_fault)

It's all handled by Linux. KVM only does a call to get_user_pages. See
functions whose name starts with hva_to_pfn in virt/kvm/kvm_main.c

Given a GPA, the GFN is simply the guest physical address minus bits
0:11, so shifted right by 12.

Paolo

  Last update: 2021-04-20 08:52    [W:0.053 / U:0.440 seconds]