SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] Add a new translation tool scripts/trslt.py
On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 03:00:36PM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Wu XiangCheng <bobwxc@email.cn> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This set of patches aim to add a new translation tool - trslt.py, which
> > can control the transltions version corresponding to source files.
> >
> > For a long time, kernel documentation translations lacks a way to control the
> > version corresponding to the source files. If you translate a file and then
> > someone updates the source file, there will be a problem. It's hard to know
> > which version the existing translation corresponds to, and even harder to sync
> > them.
> >
> > The common way now is to check the date, but this is not exactly accurate,
> > especially for documents that are often updated. And some translators write
> > corresponding commit ID in the commit log for reference, it is a good way,
> > but still a little troublesome.
> >
> > Thus, the purpose of ``trslt.py`` is to add a new annotating tag to the file
> > to indicate corresponding version of the source file::
> >
> > .. translation_origin_commit: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > The script will automatically copy file and generate tag when creating new
> > translation, and give update suggestions based on those tags when updating
> > translations.
> >
> > More details please read doc in [Patch 2/2].
>
> So, like Federico, I'm unconvinced about putting this into the
> translated text itself. This is metadata, and I'd put it with the rest
> of the metadata. My own suggestion would be a tag like:
>
> Translates: 6161a4b18a66 ("docs: reporting-issues: make people CC the regressions list")
>
> It would be an analogue to the Fixes tag in this regard; you could have
> more than one of them if need be.

Yes, that's also a good idea rather than add a tag to text itself.

> I'm not sure we really need a script in the kernel tree for this; it
> seems like what you really want is some sort of git commit hook. That
> said, if you come up with something useful, we can certainly find a
> place for it.

Emmm, thought again.

Maybe we just need a doc to tell people recommended practice, just put a
script or hook in the doc.

Use it or not, depend on themselves. That's may easier, but I'm worried
about whether this loose approach will work better.

Thanks!

Wu X.C.

  Last update: 2021-04-17 04:48    [W:0.104 / U:0.124 seconds]