SubjectRe: QCA6174 pcie wifi: Add pci quirks
[cc +Pali]

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 20:02:23 +0200
Ingmar Klein <ingmar_klein@web.de> wrote:

> First thanks to you both, Alex and Bjorn!
> I am in no way an expert on this topic, so I have to fully rely on your
> feedback, concerning this issue.
>
> If you should have any other solution approach, in form of patch-set, I
> would be glad to test it out. Just let me know, what you think might
> make sense.
> I will wait for your further feedback on the issue. In the meantime I
> have my current workaround via quirk entry.
>
> By the way, my layman's question:
> Do you think, that the following topic might also apply for the QCA6174?
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-pci/msg106395.html
> Or in other words, should a similar approach be tried for the QCA6174
> and if yes, would it bring any benefit at all?
> I hope you can excuse me, in case the questions should not make too much
> sense.

If you run lspci -vvv on your device, what do LnkCap and LnkSta report
under the express capability? I wonder if your device even supports
>Gen1 speeds, mine does not.

I would not expect that patch to be relevant to you based on your
report. I understand it to resolve an issue during link retraining to a
higher speed on boot, not during a bus reset. Pali can correct if I'm
wrong. Thanks,

Alex

> Am 15.04.2021 um 04:36 schrieb Alex Williamson:
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:03:50 -0500
> > Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> >> [+cc Alex]

> >> This would need a signed-off-by; see
> >> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst?id=v5.11#n361
> >>
> >> This is an old issue, and likely we'll end up just applying this as
> >> yet another quirk. But looking at c3e59ee4e766 ("PCI: Mark Atheros
> >> AR93xx to avoid bus reset"), where it started, it seems to be
> >> connected to 425c1b223dac ("PCI: Add Virtual Channel to save/restore
> >> support").
> >>
> >> I'd like to dig into that a bit more to see if there are any clues.
> >> AFAIK Linux itself still doesn't use VC at all, and 425c1b223dac added
> >> a fair bit of code. I wonder if we're restoring something out of
> >> order or making some simple mistake in the way to restore VC config.
> > I don't really have any faith in that bisect report in commit
> > c3e59ee4e766. To double check I dug out the card from that commit,
> > installed an old Fedora release so I could build kernel v3.13,
> > pre-dating 425c1b223dac and tested triggering a bus reset both via
> > setpci and by masking PM reset so that sysfs can trigger the bus reset
> > path with the kernel save/restore code. Both result in the system
> > hanging when the device is accessed either restoring from the kernel
> > bus reset or reading from the device after the setpci reset. Thanks,
> >
> > Alex

  Last update: 2021-04-15 21:02    [W:0.171 / U:0.132 seconds]