SubjectRe: [RFC] NUMA balancing: reduce TLB flush via delaying mapping on hint page fault
Date

> On Mar 31, 2021, at 6:16 AM, Mel Gorman <mgorman@suse.de> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 07:20:09PM +0800, Huang, Ying wrote:
>> Mel Gorman <mgorman@suse.de> writes:

>>> Why would the overhead be high? It was previously inaccessibly so it's
>>> only parallel accesses making forward progress that trigger the need
>>> for a flush.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't understand this. Although the page is inaccessible, the
>> threads may access other pages, so TLB flushing is still necessary.
>>

> You assert the overhead of TLB shootdown is high and yes, it can be
> very high but you also said "the benchmark score has no visible changes"
> indicating the TLB shootdown cost is not a major problem for the workload.
> It does not mean we should ignore it though.

If you are looking for a benchmark that is negatively affected by NUMA
balancing, then IIRC Parsec’s dedup is such a workload. [1]

[1] https://parsec.cs.princeton.edu/

  Last update: 2021-03-31 18:37    [W:0.179 / U:0.172 seconds]