SubjectRe: XDP socket rings, and LKMM litmus tests
On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 07:46:27PM +0100, Björn Töpel wrote:
> [...]
> // consume data==0. Afterwards, producer can continue and write 1 to
> // data. Can we enter state prod==0, cons==1, but consumer observerd
> // the write of 1?
>
> P0(int *prod, int *cons, int *data)
> {
> int p;
> int c;
> int cond = 0;
>
> p = READ_ONCE(*prod);
> c = READ_ONCE(*cons);
> if (p == 0)
> if (c == 0)
> cond = 1;
> if (p == 1)
> if (c == 1)
> cond = 1;
>
> if (cond) {
> smp_mb();
> WRITE_ONCE(*data, 1);
> smp_wmb();
> WRITE_ONCE(*prod, p ^ 1);
> }
> }
>
> P1(int *prod, int *cons, int *data)
> {
> int p;
> int c;
> int d = -1;
> int cond = 0;
>
> p = READ_ONCE(*prod);
> c = READ_ONCE(*cons);
> if (p == 1)
> if (c == 0)
> cond = 1;
> if (p == 0)
> if (c == 1)
> cond = 1;
>
> if (cond == 1) {
> smp_rmb();
> d = READ_ONCE(*data);
> smp_mb();
> WRITE_ONCE(*cons, c ^ 1);
> }
> }
>
> exists( 1:d=1 /\ prod=0 /\ cons=1 );
>
> --
>
> The weird state changing if-statements is because that I didn't get
> '&&' and '||' to work with herd.
>
> When this is run:
>
> $ herd7 -conf linux-kernel.cfg litmus-tests/spsc-rb+1p1c.litmus
> Test spsc-rb+1p1c Allowed
> States 2
> 1:d=0; cons=1; prod=0;
> 1:d=0; cons=1; prod=1;
> No
> Witnesses
> Positive: 0 Negative: 2
> Condition exists (1:d=1 /\ prod=0 /\ cons=1)
> Observation spsc-rb+1p1c Never 0 2
> Time spsc-rb+1p1c 0.04
> Hash=b399756d6a1301ca5bda042f32130791
>
> Now to my question; In P0 there's an smp_mb(). Without that, the d==1
> can be observed from P1 (consumer):
>
> $ herd7 -conf linux-kernel.cfg litmus-tests/spsc-rb+1p1c.litmus
> Test spsc-rb+1p1c Allowed
> States 3
> 1:d=0; cons=1; prod=0;
> 1:d=0; cons=1; prod=1;
> 1:d=1; cons=1; prod=0;
> Ok
> Witnesses
> Positive: 1 Negative: 2
> Condition exists (1:d=1 /\ prod=0 /\ cons=1)

This result is wrong, apparently because of a bug in herd7. There
should be control dependencies from each of the two loads in P0 to each
of the two stores, but herd7 doesn't detect them.

Maybe Luc can find some time to check whether this really is a bug and
if it is, fix it.

> In commit c7f2e3cd6c1f ("perf: Optimize ring-buffer write by depending
> on control dependencies") removes the corresponding smp_mb(), and also
> the circular buffer in circular-buffers.txt (pre commit 6c43c091bdc5
> ("documentation: Update circular buffer for
> load-acquire/store-release")) is missing the smp_mb() at the
> producer-side.
>
> I'm trying to wrap my head around why it's OK to remove the smp_mb()
> in the cases above? I'm worried that the current XDP socket ring
> implementation (which is missing smp_mb()) might be broken.

Because of the control dependencies, the smp_mb isn't needed. The
dependencies will order both of the stores after both of the loads.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2021-03-03 03:41    [W:0.094 / U:0.808 seconds]